4.11.2011

Monday's with Martha - Custom Door Mats

Good Monday Morning to you Blog Hogs! 
I am loving this weather?!?  Anyone else!?!  We did so much this weekend!  It so felt like it was a long one, but it alas it was not!  Just two days!  And I'm not sure where the alas came from... I guess I just felt like it.

Anyways, since I did so much around my house this weekend and with Mr. K, there wasn't much time for catching up on the good ol' blog here... SOOOOO... I've decided to share a Martha Project with you -- Custom Door Mats.  It's something I've wanted to do for a long time now and I happened to come across it over on Good Ol' Martha's website. 

Custom door mats are a great way to welcome guests AND if you put your house number on them, it's a great way to reassure guests that they are at the correct house!  Mr. K and I really need to do this... our front door mat is going on three years old... oops!  I wouldn't recommend this... it needs to be replaced.  I love this one below from Ballard Designs... but it can't be that hard to make, right?!


via

It's so easy to embellish an inexpensive doormat with supplies that you may or may not already have...
Here's what you'll need:

Coir doormat (Size may vary - made from the stiff fibers of coconut husks)
Scissors
Masking tape in 3-inch and 3/4-inch widths
Address numbers
Card stock
Utility knife
Ruler
T pins
12-ounce can Enamel spray paint

First, create a border with tape.  It's probably best to place at least 1 inch from the edge of the mat.  If you'd like a second border (as shown) use 3/4 inch tape with about 1/2 inch between the borders.  You can print out figures, letters, or numbers to use on your mat.  Transfer to card stock for better results and cut out with a utility knife.  You can also get number at the hardware store.  Using a ruler, center the numbers and once you are satisfied with where they are, pin them to the mat.


via
 Then, making sure you are in a well-ventilated area, hold the spray paint (contrasting in color to the mat) 4-6 inches over the mat.  It's recommended to work in small circles and to bring closer to take care of the edges. 

Once finished, let dry for at least 2 hours before you remove the tape and/or numbers. 

Then Voila!  This is what you should have! 

via


Here are a couple other examples from people who've tried it already too!  I'm going to work on this THIS week and then post pictures of how it went!  Love me some DIY.  :)


via




via

Happy Monday!


1 comment:

wall art said...

Scrapers can be attached directly to the mat, helping to keep them in place as people scrub shoes and boots against them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...