I recently worked on an art wall for my mom which you can read about here. That wall needed a little something and my mom had a ton of corks from her wine! So, one day we decided she needed to make an H out of them. Our last name is Hake.
So... Here's what I did.
Of course the task fell on me, but my mom is super crafty and artsy fartsy herself so I'm not sure why she couldn't do it... but that's besides the point.
I started out with just laying the corks in an H shape to figure out how big I wanted it. I had check previously how big it could be with the layout on the wall. It's actually very cool. I didn't want anything too small because then it wouldn't have enough punch that the wall needed.
I ended up with 16x3 on the sides of the H and 7x3 in the middle. It's a good size.
Then I started gluing. I only glued three together at a time to make it a little more manageable. I thought if I just kept adding to the sides it would get heavy and or just uncomfortable to hold and work with. Once I had enough 3s, I glued 5 of those together and then started over.
She had a few corks that she wanted to accent or feature so I chose to put those in the middle on the top to give a little dimension. I gave them a fun little pattern too so that they would stand out and you could see the cool designs on them!
And then I made sure to flip a few to show the reds from the Merlot...
I love how they all have a little bit different shade...
And here's the final product.